Monday, March 2, 2009

March; Lion or Lamb?


Well, here we are, and it's March 2nd! Yeah!!!! Spring is right around the corner, or at least I'm trying to think positive, until hubby (who is a total winter hater) reminds me that we're usually doing the Easter egg hunt in snow. What a buzz kill! Although, it is true. A Canadian winter lingers on sometimes until the middle of May, if you can believe it, and where I live is considered the 'banana belt' of the country! lol!

So, did March roar in like a lion, or did it roll in like a lamb in your parts? As is normal for our neck of the woods, March did, indeed, roar in. We got dumped with lots of white fluffy snow, howling winds, biting temps (-14, -22 with wind chill) and it now looks like a winter wonder land. Today its sunny and the sunbeams are shining on the freshly fallen snow, making it sparkle. And while my husband was ready to shoot himself as we watched the blizzard from the comforts of our living room, I was inspired.

You see, I have that other writing name, and she has a Christmas novella to write, and it's due by April 1. Now, I'm kind of all Christmased out, and I was really sick of seeing grey snow and mud puddles at it melted. I was wondering how the heck I was going to find that Christmas spirit as I was looking through some fashion mags and drooling over flip flops and capris. When you're longing for spring, you don't want to go back to Decemeber. UGH!
So, the outside atmosphere is conducive. I've put on Loreena McKennitt who has a beautiful 'Winter' themed CD that sounds nice and Celtic and mystical, and my new cover came to further inspire the novella! That's one hot highlander on the cover, and he reminds me of my prince, who is the hero in my novella. He's a prince of Annwyn and this novella is a introduction to the Annwyn world, albeit in a historical context. The Annwyn Chronicles will be a contemporary paranormal. But I digress...once I saw the cover, and then the blizzard, I knew it was time to plant my posterior in my chair and get writing. So, I started in earnest last night and it was really fun to write a winter scene in an enchanted wood with magic and snow and the whole Christmas feel.

Of course, I'm hoping that the snow won't linger too long, and that the crocus will start popping up anytime. Bathing suits are already out in stores, and the garden stuff is being set up just to temp and tease us.

I think it's a pretty accurate old wives tale, about March coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb, and vice versa. I tried to find the history behind this little saying and couldn't find any sort of reference, only that it's been used forever.

Anyone know the history of it? And how are you feeling weather wise, are you able to hang in there for a few more weeks of winter, or are you ready to be wearing flip flops and opening those screen doors to let the fresh air in?And if anyone is feeling the effects of not enough sun, just a take a peek at the Highlander, a guaranteed remedy for any mid-winter blues!

The LIT ladies and that naughty Lord Craven-Moore will get you through this month! We've got some great authors stopping by and they're bringing books to win!!! And we know you guys love new books (so do we! ) so, come in out of the cold and get warmed up our guests bloggers, and we'll survive these last few weeks of the bleak winter together!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The saying with March as a Lion and Lamb supposely came from a Proverb
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1O90-MARCHcomesnlklnndgstlklmb.html

March came in for us a Lion for Texas here. With high winds and pretty cool days.

I myself never look forward to spring or summer as I suffer major Sinus trouble (ceder and ash) and only get relief in the cooler months.

Plus am a total wimp and can't handle the heat *laughs*

Charlotte Featherstone said...

Rane, thanks for that cool link!
I have sinus, too but not till August when its ragweed season!

Anonymous said...

I have a love hate relationship with winter. I love how beautiful the snow looks at first fall. However, I'm not a fan of freezing my tush off, slushing through piles of snow or the one I hate most--scraping ice off the car! Grrr...We also got hit with a big storm last night in NYC. Fun.

Summer--Not for me. I'm not a big fan of heat stroke.

Spring is okay, but like both of you I suffer from major sinus troubles that seem to be at their worst during the spring.

For me, fall is the best season by far! Not hot, not cold--just right. I love autumn. The changing leaves are absolutely gorgeous.

Good luck with your deadline, Charlotte!

Kristi Cook said...

A LION here in NYC--as evidenced by my spotty internet connection. I think the wind keeps taking it out!

It's like a blizzard out there--piles of snow, and howling winds blowing it all over the place.

My poor second grader is supposed to go on a field trip to The Cloisters tomorrow--that's going to be fun (cold!).

I hate winter. Hate everything about it, and even more so since I got Rheumatoid Arthritis. I'll take summer--give me 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and I'll take it over this *any day*.

Grumble....

Genella deGrey said...

LOL - I'm listening to Loreena and Enya on my iTunes right now - but not to inspire winter, to mellow me out! Hehe!

I found this about the Lion & Lamb quote: "The phrase apparently has its origins with the constellations Leo, the Lion, and Aries, the ram or lamb. It has to do with the relative positions of these constellations in the sky at the beginning and end of the month."

I'm in CA, and Sunday was a bit warm (for my taste) but today it's drizzling. Go fig.

Hugs to all!
G.

PS: Charlotte - I didn't get to read much over the weekend, but I'm REALLY LOVING "Addicted" :)

Charlotte Featherstone said...

Genella,
I hadn't thought that much about astrology having a play in the Lion/Lamb theory,but in retrospect it makes sense, doesn't it? Thanks for looking that up for us!

Glad you're liking Addicted! That means alot to hear it.