Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tracy Wolff is in the Manor!



Every once in a while, us LIT ladies like to explore the 'other side'. Normally Lord Craven-Moore is our tour guide in these matters, but today, we're talking about something that has not required our rakish lord's expertise. Today, we're talking about steppin' out and reading something different. For me, I'm a die-hard historical fan, and these last two years have seen me become a voracious reader of paranormals as well. But for the first time this year, I've really stepped out and have tried to read different things, In January, I picked up an erotic romantic suspense by NAL debut author Tracy Wolff. Well, what did I think? LOVED it!!!!

This blog, as you know, is usually dedicated to the hot historical. In the last few months, the LIT ladies have been going back and forth with 'do we, don't we' about having non-historical authors blog with us. It's not that we don't love other genres, it's just that we formed this blog to celebrate the hot historical and will people care if we have the occasional non-historical blogger. I know this is a bit unorthodox but let us know if you like it, having the occasional non-historical writer to blog. We like discussion here at LIT so let us know if you want to see the occasional non-historical post. If you don't feel comfortable posting in the comments, send us an email via our website to have your say (we're as silent as the tomb when it comes to privacy, so no worries there!). We're building LIT one step at a time and trying new things to make your visits pleasurable, while keeping the blog unique!

Ok, disclaimer aside, Tracy is going to talk about a city that I am positively DYING to visit; New Orleans. I love the idea of this sinful city back in the 1700's. I love the era of its heyday and the lavishness and mysteriousness that still, today, shrouds the city. I will get there! (as well as to Savannah and Charlston!)I think that creatively it must be a font of ideas.
Help me giving a resounding HUZZAH welcome to my good friend (as well as NAL writing bud), debut author, Tracy Wolff!
**
First of all, thanks to Charlotte and the other lovely ladies here at Lust In Time for letting me blog. I’ve been an avid lurker on this blog for a long time and it’s truly a thrill to be here.


New Orleans has always been a city close to my heart. It’s the city where I went to grad school and turned twenty-one. It’s the city I first got drunk in,the city where I met my husband, the city where I became a mom. And it’s the city that pops up in my writing again and again.

I’m in the process of writing my third novel of erotic suspense, called Tease Me, and like the two that have come before it—Full Exposure (available now) and Tie Me Down (available in September) it takes place in the sultry heat of southern Louisiana.

Why do I keep going back to this city? I’m not exactly sure, except for the fact that it inspires me like few other places ever have. I came to adulthood in this city, wandering its dark, mystical and often smelly streets in the middle of the night as I soaked up the ambiance of the Garden District and French Quarter. I drank hurricanes at Pat O’Briens, drank everything else at Jean Lafitte’s old blacksmith shop—one of the oldest buildings in New Orleans—often near Anne Rice, who was known to write there during my five years in the Big Easy. I toured the centuries-old cemetaries, haunted the houses and hang-outs of some of the most talented writers in American history and generally had a blast. So when it came time to write my first novel, how could I not set in the Crescent City?

Now, as I write Tease Me, I’ve done a lot of research into the changing face of New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. And as I researched, I found out some really interesting things about the new New Orleans. Things that the N’Awlins of old would probably never have considered.

For example, there are plans to restore huge sections of Louisiana wetlands that have been destroyed by recent hurricanes and oil drilling. The areas around New Orleans—and New Orleans itself-- have substantially increased urban organic farming. Solar paneled homes make up part of the lower ninth ward now, homes that would never have been considered before Katrina flooded about 80% of New Orleans. Things have changed so much here—and New Orleans has gone so green—that last year, the Energy Department dubbed The Crescent City a Solar American City. Since then, New Orleans has received numerous grants to help it rebuild in the greenest, most energy efficient way—including a $500,000 one that will help it establish solar programs.

It amazes, and thrills me, that the city of my youth—this city that is so rich in history and tradition—is leaping into the twenty-first century with such a bang. And inspires me to go just a little more green in my own life.

So, what’s your favorite city? Is there anyplace that is special to you because of the memories it holds? In celebration of Full Exposure’s recent 4 ½ stars, Top Pick review from Romantic Times magazine, I’m giving away a copy of Naughty Bits, the Spice Briefs anthology that just hit the shelves. Both Charlotte Featherstone and I have stories in it. Leave a comment here and you’ll be entered to win.

Tracy Wolff is a romance author and avid eBook reader, blogging this month for All Romance eBooks' Go Green/Read e Campaign. Find out more about the Go Green/Read e Campaign at www.gogreenreade.com. To learn more about Tracy Wolff visit her website at www.tracywolff.com You can find Tracy Wolff's ebooks and thousands of other eBooks on-line at www.allromanceebooks.com.**

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any place where there are bordelloes and willing women!

I'm not picky, just descerning!
Hugs and kisses,
Lord CM

Charlotte Featherstone said...

London, England for me has to top the list. I've been there three times and each time it feels like home! The first time I went I was actually creeped out how I seemed to know where things were and which way to walk. It was rather strange, and even my mum, who was along for that trip, thought it very, very strange. As a writer, I like to fancy that I was Londerer in a past life!!!

I'd also really love to see New Orleans, Savannah and Charleston. I'll probably get there. The one place I'll have to 'arm chair' visit is Istanbul. I'm dying to see the covered bazzars and the Seraglio! but hubby will take much convicing, I'm afraid.

Amanda McIntyre said...

Welcome to the Lit Manor, Tracy and congrats on your recent "top pick" from RT!

New Orleans is one of those southern cities I've always wanted to visit. The history of that area just seems so multi-layered and mysterious. Plus I have heard that the ghost tours are second to none down there!

I am just beginning to appreciate romantic suspense as a reader, so will have to check this one out!

Can you tell us a little more about the story in Full Exposure?


Amanda
Timeless Passion!

Tracy Deebs said...

Thanks again for having me, ladies! London is a fabulous city, Charlotte! I'm also fond of Alexandria, Egypt and Athens, Greece. There's something about the Mediterranean . . .

Amanda, New Orleans really is something else. As for Full Exposure-- here's the back cover blurb:
Closing herself off to a traumatic past, photographer Serena Macafee likes sex with no strings attached. No commitment. Just pure pleasure. Her new subject, sculptor Kevin Riley, is the perfect man to fulfill her hottest fantasies. Where better than the torrid wetlands of Baton Rouge where Riley works—and plays? But as their affair heats up, so do Serena’s intimate feelings for Kevin. And as her guard breaks down, her fears are aroused…

She’s opening herself up to emotions she never wanted, and making herself vulnerable to a past she thought she’d escaped. One that has followed her to the sweltering southern bayou, exposing her to the twisted fantasies of someone in the shadows, and to dangers beyond her control.


When I wrote the story, I wanted to create a main character with a really gritty backstory, one that emotionally cripples her for life. Her twin sister's murder does just that to Serena and it is only through learning to trust Kevin that she eventually heals.

Anonymous said...

Weclome Ms.Wolff!
Although it was sad to see and hear about everything that happen to New Orleans when Katrina hit, it has also open the door for better stronger and greener homes to be built and a all around better way in living without casuing the earth anymore harm.

I really love the new water filter system they're thinking of putting in like they did in CAL. that not only stops trash from going to the ocean but other things we can't see like oils and even viruses! Best part even the filer can be recycled. Just amazing

Jane said...

San Francisco is one of my favorite cities. It's so beautiful and there's so much to do. The food is great. I also like Vegas. I went there for a wedding and it's so easy to get caught up in the sights and sounds. The Bellagio buffet was the best.

Tracy Deebs said...

Ranearia-- that's fascinating about the water system. I had no idea-- very cool. Thanks for sharing.

And Jane, I agree-- San Francisco is a beautiful city. I lived there for three years when I was a kid and it was great fun. Two of my closest friends live their still and it is wonderful to visit them. And Vegas-- what's not to like?

Amy C said...

I don't go exploring too much. But I guess there is one city that hold special memories, and I've had the opportunity to visit a few times since we moved away when I was younger and that's Las Vegas. I have fond memories of visiting downtown with my mom and aunt and doing things on the strip. As well as visiting the mountains outside the city.

Me and my son are going to be exploring New York City this summer. I'm super excited about that. I couldn't live there, but there is so much to see and do.

Ever since I read Anne Rice's Witches and then her Vamps, I've wanted to go to New Orleans :). It seems so mysterious!

I would love to go to some overseas cities. But I'm not sure that will ever happen.

Kristi Cook said...

Ahh, New Orleans! For many years my family lived in Slidell, right across Lake Ponchartrain from N.O.--and I went to college an hour away, so N.O. was our big stomping ground. I confess, I have a love/hate relationship with the place. The corruption, the virtual segregation, the crime (you did NOT take a purse with you to the French Quarter!), the drunks....and yet there are so many positives, too--the food, the architecture, the ambiance. I have so many happy memories of sitting out on the patio at Pat O.'s (or the piano bar!), of having my first Hurricane, of strolling down the street, listening to the music, stopping into Preservation Hall, New Year's Eve in Jackson Square, riding the streetcar down to the Garden District....yeah, it's a great place. Scary sometimes, but fun and definitely atmospheric. I haven't been back post-Katrina--I can't even imagine how much it's changed. But I hope to go back soon, and take my husband and kids.

But my own favorite city?! Hmmm, that's hard. I love Savannah. I love Dublin. Maybe my favorite two! Oh....I love St. Augustine, FL, too!

Amanda McIntyre said...

Talking about fav places, the place that I envisioned while in labor and delivery (no lie) Mackinac Island, Michigan. It's my peaceful place;)
Whitefish point comes in a close second. I am always ready to go back at a moments notice if the opportunity arises. My greatest joy was having a booksigning in the little bookstore on the island.
(That particular book is actually set on the island, LOL)But its where I have soem of my fondest m,emories over the years.

Amanda

Tracy Deebs said...

Amy-- have fun in New York! I'm going in a couple of weeks and can't wait. It's the first time I've been since getting published and it will be so fun to meet with my agent and editor!

Kristina-- I know what you mean. It is hard to ignore the ugly side of New Orleans. I got lucky, because my dad made me move to Metairie as opposed to the quarter/off St. Charles where so many of my friends lived. I was the only one who wasn't mugged/robbed/assaulted in my time there, so Dad definitely knew what he was talking about when he helped me pick out an apartment.

Amanda-- I was born in Michigan, so know exactly where you're talking about. It is wonderful.

Unknown said...

Hello LIT ladies. Just wanted to stop in and tell everyone hi, and welcome Tracy today. Please dont enter me in the contest for the book because my copy is hopefully in the mail as we speak. I am so excited to read it. Congrats.

Kristi Cook said...

Amy and Tracy, if you want/need any NYC pointers/recommendations, feel free to email me and ask--I live in NYC! kristiastor@aol.com