Sunday, September 28, 2008

Review: A RAKE'S GUIDE TO PLEASURE


What do you get when you combine beautifully written prose, two fascinating, well-drawn protagonists, a seemingly fresh plot, and some of the hottest sex this side of erotica?? Easy....you get Victoria Dahl's latest historical romance, A RAKE'S GUIDE TO PLEASURE (Zebra Books). I can sum up my reaction to this book in one word: WOW!

I don't like to summarize plots in my reviews--just to say why a book worked (or didn't work) for me, so excuse the lack of plot summary. What I will tell you is that the book's lead characters, Emma and Hart, are fascinating characters. And equally important, they are *believable* characters. Their conflict seemed real, not at all contrived, and they behaved in ways that seemed real, given their past experiences. And though Hart is a duke and Emma is far below him in rank and circumstance, they come off as equals in many respects, and I liked that.

And what was really clever about that 'equality' is that, once again, it wasn't contrived. It wasn't even anachronistic. Hart was a duke and expected to get his way, as any duke would. He took advantage of his position. He commanded and stomped about, all ducal-like. And yet, somehow, I never felt that he treated Emma as a 'lesser.' And Emma was a strong, likeable heroine without becoming one of those caricature 'spunky' heroines that are so common in historical romance.

And the naughty parts?? Smokin' hot! And there were LOTS of naughty parts, mind you. Really, really naughty! (read Ms. Dahl's MySpace blog entry about a particular scene that scandalized her husband!) Suffice it to say that this book had sexy stuff I've never before read in a mainstream (as in, non-erotic) romance. And you know what? It worked. It fit this story, these characters. It wasn't at all gratuitous--each love scene moved the plot forward; irrevocably changed the characters, developed them.

I'm pretty sure I've never read a romance like this one--love scenes, plot, characters, etc. It was just different. In so many ways. Fresh. Unique.

All in all, I adored A RAKE'S GUIDE TO PLEASURE. Everything about it. Probably one of my favorite historical romances *ever*, and without a doubt, Hart has made my short list of all-time-favorite romance heroes. Yes, he's that delicious!

So, get thyself to the bookstore, pronto, and pick up a copy--if you haven't already. And if you have already read it, I'd love to hear what you thought!

6 comments:

Victoria Dahl said...

Kristi! Thank you SO MUCH! What an honor. You've made my week.

And I had no idea I was so dang dirty. *g* Okay, maybe a little bit of an idea.

THANK YOU!

Charlotte Featherstone said...

Ooooh, I'm picking this up tomorrow at the bookstore once I drop the kidlet off at school.
I luuuv dirty historicals! And if I didn't love them before, how could I not love them after this fabu review!

I've been reading the galleys of my own dirty historical this w/e, and looking for something to sink my teeth into now that I've sent my galley's back. Looks like A Rake's Guide to Pleasure will be the one! Can't wait!
And Victoria, thanks for stopping by, it's nice to see you.

Kristi Cook said...

Hey, thank YOU for writing such a great book! You dirty girl, you. *grin*

Victoria Dahl said...

Thanks, ladies!

I didn't want to be the first one to leave a comment, stalker-style, but I just couldn't wait! *g*

Anonymous said...

Welceom to LIT Victoria! Maybe we can persuede you to do an interview for us about how you came up with the idea for this book? Do you picture your characters ahead of time or do they take "shape" as you write?
Autumn blessings~

Amanda
who has been working like a fiend on her website most of the day and ...ahem into the wee hours of the morn!

Genella deGrey said...

YAY, Victoria!

Her book does look yummy, doesn't it?
Can't wait!

:)
G.