Friday, December 4, 2009

Seasonal delights short story: Finding the Holiday Log



"Okay, I found it!!" she screamed as she rushed in all bundled from the early morning chill. "I had to walk in the knee deep snow--uphill,both ways to get it...but I got it!"


"I got "it" this morning too, my sweeting." Lord CM glanced with a smile at Kristi. "What blazing scheme have you got stirring in that head of yours now, Amanda?"

Charolotte appeared at the door, her hair dischelved, a smile on her face.

"The log! I found the log!" Amanda spoke enthusiasitically.

Lord C.M. chuckled. "Ladies,there is no need to search the countryside for the perfect yule log. Why, I have it right here..."

"Stop!" Charlotte held up her hand. "I need coffee first and plenty of it!" She stumbled to the cupboard and fumbled for her favorite cup. "I really need a big one this morning," she muttered, purusing the array of mugs.

Lord C.M. sipped his steaming cuppa and grinned. "That can be arranged, my dear."

"Do you think of nothing else?" Amanda tossed at Lord C.M. as she swept into the kitchen beginning to collect her ingredients.

The sultry Lord of the manor, clad only in his festive red silk boxers, grabbed Amanda's arm, hauling her against his brick-like chest. "Only when forced, my love. And you know I like it that way, too."



Tempted to take him up on his offer, Amanda sighed. "I promised to share this recipe with our guests. Now are you going to help me , or continue to be a sexy pest and detour me?"

"Is that a choice?" he asked with a smirk.

"For now," she replied, swatting his firm backside. Kristi and Charlotte joined in the fun!

"This may be the best holiday ever," Lord C.M. laughed as he held out his arms to gather the three women to him.

"Our guests, Lord C.M...." Amanda reminded him.

"Ah yes, come sit here and read me your list. Let us find what is so delightful about this log recipe of yours." He said patting his knee.

"Very well." The three gathered in the cozy booth of the kitchen nook and followed along as Amanda read.

Dried Beef Log

Lord C. M. chuckled. "Hardly dried."

"Hush," Kristi scolded him. "Go on, Amanda."

"You need:
1/2 lb of dried beef, sliced between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch.
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
3 oz. cream cheese
6 slices of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
Line a jelly roll pan with wax paper, lay out beef slices, slightlt overlapping pieces.
Melt cheeses (in microwave or on stove) and pour over the beef. Sprinkle the bacon bits
on the melted cheese and roll-starting at edges--the width of the pan. Wrap waxed paper roll in foil, tuck ends and refrigerate. Flavors meld as it chills. Unwrap the log...

"I like the sound of that!" Lord C.M. interjected.

"Do you remember the year we got the giant red bow and..." Charolotte giggled.



"Can I finish, please?" Amanda asked offering the two an exasperated  side-glance. She was determined to get through this recipe!

"Unwrap the log and slice in 1/4 inch slices. Serve alone or on crackers or cocktail breads."

"What in blazes in a "cocktail bread?" Lord C.M. grabbed the recipe from Amanda's hand.

"Certainly not one size fits all, my lord," Kristi purred.

"We'll explain later," Amanda said. "But doesnt this sound delicious to make for the season?"

"Indeed, anything the three of you stirs up in the kitchen makes me weak in the knees," Lord C.M. offered chaste kisses all around. "We'd better get started then!"

"Indeed," Amanda stated with a smile. "We love it when you're on your knees!"

6 comments:

Charlotte Featherstone said...

That was quite the morning pick me up! Interesting recipe, I think I'm going to have make that!!!

Amanda McIntyre said...

well, Lord C.M. is nothing if not interesting in the kitchen..the hallway...the pantry...:)


Amanda

Genella deGrey said...

Hehe!
You kids . . .
;)
G.

Kristi Cook said...

OMG, was that funny! And I have *got* to try that recipe!

Amy C said...

Ha! Now that's how you share a recipe :D! So creative. Loved reading that.

But I do have a question...what is dried beef? Do you get it at a butcher shop? Or do you make it?

Amanda McIntyre said...

Good morning, Amy!

Dried beef you can get through your your local meat market or at the grocer deli area. They will likely have to cut it for you and I admit, it is a bit pricey per pound in general, but makes a huge log which goes a long way. Cream cheese, velveeta and bacon bits are the lesser expensive ingredients.

It can be eaten alone, or we like to serve it with Ritz or Triscuit crackers.

Be sure to keep it refridgerated once made.

We're bracing for snow tonight and a potential major storm come Tuesday--blizzard conditions--here in the Midwest!!

Amanda