Monday, January 12, 2009

Golden Globes, Anyone?



First off, you'll have to excuse my recent slew of totally NON historical-related posts--the manuscript I'm currently working on is for the Harlequin NASCAR line, so I'm currently out of 'historical mode' and knee-deep in (clean!) NASCAR goodness at present. It's been an interesting shift, since the last manuscript I completed was an erotic historical novella for Harlequin SPICE--lots of explicit sex, frank language, etc. But the Harlequin NASCAR line is the polar opposite, at the 'sweet' level, with all the love scenes taking place 'off stage.' It's been an interesting challenge to create sufficient sexual tension between my characters while keeping the 'physicality' to kisses.

However, by next week I'll be immersed back in the world of Edwardian England, so I promise to get all 'hot historical' on you again real soon!

In the meantime, anyone besides me catch the Golden Globes last night? I promised myself I wouldn't watch--I really needed to be writing, not sitting in front of the television for hours. But ultimately, the lure was just too much for me, and I turned it on about 20 min. into the show. I confess--I LOVE awards shows. I love to see the dresses, to check out the current trends (clearly velvet is the au courant thing for men right now--I bet Lord Craven-Moore just *loves* velvet!).

And the Golden Globes are particularly fun, mostly because they encompass both TV and film, but also because of the casual nature of the format. I love watching the celebs during breaks, chatting away with one another. For some weird reason, I really like to watch celebs interact with one another.

My picks for best dressed woman? Salma Hayek. Megan Fox. Kate Winslet. A lot of people didn't like Jenna Fischer's dress, but I loved it. Olivia Wilde. Evan Rachel Wood. Oh, and Miley Cyrus--I *loved* her dress. I would totally wear it. Best dressed man? Colin Farrell. He *rocked* his tux--I loved the plaid waistcoat (and thanks to the Colin Farrell Fansite for the above picture!). I also really liked Tracy Morgan's white dinner jacket. And I confess, the beard and dark hair didn't do it for me, but I actually liked Sting's interesting ensemble.

Best acceptance speeches? Again, Colin Farrell, and yeah, I admit my prejudice, because I *love* him (so talented, so wicked and naughty!), but his acceptance speech for "Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical" (for the brilliant IN BRUGES) was so endearing, so cute and funny and just plain *sweet* that I have to give him major props (I loved his crack about the votes being counted in Florida, LOL!).

Kate Winslet's speech for "Best Actress in a Drama" for RESERVATION ROAD was definitely a bit too rambling and over the top (was she really *that* surprised?! I knew she was going to win!), but it seemed so heartfelt and sincere that it made me cry, especially when she showed her love to Leo. Tina Fey cracked me up. And Mickey Rourke....well, what can you say?? I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the word "balls" so many times in an acceptance speech (and he used it fondly, too!). I'm still totally shocked that that huge, bulking scary looking guy is the *same* man as the hottie from 9 1/2 weeks....but from what I've heard about THE WRESTLER, he totally deserved that win, so Go Mickey!!

So...anyone else watch? If so, who gets your best dressed nods? Any favorite moments?

*Edited to add a link to Moviefone's "Best/Worst Dressed" slideshow!*

*Edited again to add a link to video of Colin's cute acceptance speech!*



I'm not a Miley fan, but I really want that dress!

4 comments:

Charlotte Featherstone said...

Alas, I didn't see it. Award shows aren't my bag, never were. I'm kind of strange like that. I do like looking at what people are wearing, but I guess I prefer to do that in a magazine, like People, or Vanity Fair or something like that. TV is something I don't really watch a lot of. I don't know why. I never really have.

Now, I will say that Colin looked smashing in that picture!

Off to google the dresses you liked!

Kristi Cook said...

I edited the original post to include a link to Moviefone's 'best/worst dressed' slideshow!

Fedora said...

I totally missed these, but mmm, very nice photos! Thanks!

Jane said...

I love Kate Winslet and was so happy to see her finally win. It's hard to believe she's never won a Golden Globe or Oscar before(though she's been nominated many times.) Tina Fey and Ricky Gervais were the funniest. I was also happy to see "Mad Men" and "30 Rock" win. They're two of my favorite shows.